Thursday, January 20, 2005

The New Imperialism

My current book is The New Imperialism by David Harvey, and it seems very interesting and well-written (in an academic tone, even!) but above all question raising. A number of things have caught my attention already.

In the course of examining hegemony and how hegemony is exercised, Harvey naturally examines the particular case of the United States as a hegemon. Harvey's conception of hegemony is "fashioned out of and expressed through and ever-shifting balance between coercion and consensus." (p. 38) He mentions a number of specifics that really made me stop and think of my own identity and self-image. He summarizes his examples with two brutal sentances: "The US has frequently relied upon domination and coercion and has not shrunk from the liquidation of opposition. Even internally, it has a history of ruthlessness that belies its attachment to its constitution and the rule of law."

Harvey explains the disparity between the examples and the perceptions of the American public by a combination of the American public living in denial and the American public passively saying c'est la vie. Of course, anyone with a personal connection to the United States has to ask him- or herself what personal implications this has, if Harvey is right.

I have heard criticism of US hegemony and imperialism for a long time. I have even had friends who found my emotional attachment to the US troubling in light of US foreign policy. Somehow, I still feel like I'm answering to them, because I'm reading similar things on the pages of Harvey's book.

Of course, there is one level of pure emotional attachment, an attachment of coincidence. When you've been part of a country, especially as a child, you can never divorce it completely. But actively regarding a country as good is a different thing altogether, and so I think that everyone with ties to the United States might benefit from thinking about the ethics of foreign policy. After all, if you support a regime across the board, you also support its foreign policy. If you do not know what your country is doing in other countries, you could be supporting a killer inadvertently. Extreme example, but it illustrates the principle.

I think I've been in denial at least to some extent, simply because it's not pleasant to discover that before you were born, your country was involved in staging coups to replace democratically elected leaders with a dictator more favorable to your country. That's not really the kind of history you want your country to have. I wanted to believe that the US had changed since then. Now that I'm presented with evidence to the contrary, that's becoming increasingly difficult to sustain. Maybe it is essentially the same mechanism that creates the denial in the first place. It's just not something you want to be true about your country.

If Harvey only dwelled on these rather manipulative facets of hegemony, I would maybe not take him that seriously, since the world is never that black and white. However, he points out something else that I can see; namely, that consent and cooperation are also essential to hegemony. He goes on to cite a number of specifics where the US has gotten general warm fuzzies from other countries for its actions.

While all this plays an important role in understanding the informal empire of the US, I think that there is another thought that begs to be thought out. How do you know that you have a reasonable view of your country, both historically and in current politics? How do you know when schools leave out parts of history that made a difference or when schools overfocus on something, giving a distorted view? Of course, systematic erasure of politicians in the Soviet Union and in China are the extreme examples.

However, Harvey mentions a more subtle and therefore more worrisome example: apparently, the US would like to believe that "it and it alone liberated Europe from the Nazi yoke, and it erases entirely the much more important role of the Red Army and the seige of Stalingrad in turning the tables in the Second World War." (p. 40) I remember being vaguely surprised in history class that the US involvement was so small in Europe - so little and so late in the game. I had an image of much grander and more decisive help - an army of Americans rushing ashore in Normandie. Not so at all. But how would Americans know?

I believe there is an answer, an answer that has been tested in practice since the Cold War: Cross-checking between countries. Every country presents some things in a skewed way. If you compare other countries' perspectives to that of the country you're in, you can spot it. That in turn means that international news is essential to both information and education. If you only know the point of view of one country, you will never know if what people are telling you is reasonable. The best way to ensure you have the full picture of politics in proper historical context is to check from the point of view of another country.

3 comments:

Aaron said...

This is fascinating. But I would like to play devils advocated here if I may. You suggest cross-referencing international histories to compile an accurate histroy of one's nation. However, is it fair to argue that while American history books have historical and political events skewed in a way that shines a favorable spotlight on the U.S. (and that is entirely true!), I would imagine historical texts from other nations do the same for their countries. I agree that we need to gain an accurate account of our nation's political and historical achievements (or misachievements), but is cross-referencing internationally flawed data the key? Is there a way to pick out the accurate data from the tainted?

Tess, I love to debate, you know that right!

~Aaron~

Global Girl said...

Yeah, so, I can't seem to figure out how to comment on a comment, so I'll just comment on my own blog and hope that the fact that it's under your reply makes it look like a reply :)

Is there a way to pick out the accurate data from the tainted?Yes, I think there is. Rather, I don't know how you could pick whether any particular piece of information is reasonably correct or not based on just a few comparisons, but I do think that the biases roughly cancel each other out.

For example, the United States has tremendous interest in reporting good news from Iraq and news may well end up tilted that way for a variety of non-conspiracy theory reasons. British news might be in a similar situation. (I'm theorizing to make a good example :) ) However, most other countries have little self-interest in what exactly goes on and who's doing what and whether things are getting any better. For example, I fail to see why Luxembourg should want anything but all of the facts, since it's just news to them - not 'report cards' on how foreign policy is doing.

However, I don't think that biased news is completely useless, either. While it is rather useless as a news source about what it purports to be a news source about, it is a news source on the society/regime/whatever that is doing or causing the tilting. It can tell you something about that location and its inner politics and discourse that a straight-forward news report cannot. It's an extreme example, but when CNN gets cut off, you know that something very dangerous in the eyes of the people in charge is being aired. Right now, I find it very interesting that the news networks were told not to show the coffins coming home. That says something about what the government is trying to keep our thoughts away from.

Maybe a better, more complete way of saying what I wanted to say should include this, as well as the more general conclusion that by combining domestic and international views, both in news and in perception of history, one can understand far more than from either just domestic or just international views and make sure you're getting it mostly right.

Yeah, I know you like to debate, and so do I. Even if you point out something I didn't want to see sometime later, it's still making my thought process and argument better, so feel free to comment - I love comments :)

Global Girl said...

Yeah, it's starting to be very scary just how few people seem to be questioning US foreign policy. I've been struggling with understanding how this is happening, with little success.