Monday, April 11, 2005

Sudden Realization

I just really realized something that I've heard said many times while writing a paper about deposition of thin ruthenium films using atomic layer deposition: gender relations really are much more relaxed in the Nordic countries than in the United States. Here, people make things so much more difficult in a very subtle way. And that's what you pick up on in the air, elsewhere too - the more tense everyday gender relations are, the more sexist a culture is.

So now I have to ask myself: If I ever have children, would it be immoral of me to raise them completely outside the Nordic countries, knowing that? Or completely outside wherever I think gender relations are the best, if that isn't the Nordic countries at that point?

2 comments:

Aaron said...

Raise them wherever...just make them aware of their surroundings. Do you believe in your ability to do that?

Aaron (wink)

Global Girl said...

I'm not sure I could. I mean, growing up in surroundings where it is considered natural and unremarkable that you should be respected does things for you that being aware of that you are being wronged doesn't.