Sunday, January 06, 2008

Knowing what's going on

A while back, my boyfriend's (sambo/avomies) sister told him, after him mentioning that the dollar was falling, that the dollar falling was some kind of lie or conspiracy or misrepresentation. I'm not sure how the wording was put, I wasn't there. But she clearly hadn't heard of it in the probably 2+ years that it's been falling, and wasn't ready to believe it now. I'm unsure how to react. It seems a little... impossible not to know. Apparently, that's not the case.

Maybe it's being a TCK business brat in particular, but knowing rough exchange rates off the top of your head for major world currencies just sounds like a basic piece of being informed. And knowing whether any of those major currencies are doing anything unusual, like falling for a few years, also goes in that category. I wonder if she knows that the Thai baht crashed? I wonder how many other people in the US have no idea what their currency is doing, or what impact other currencies' behavior have on their economy?

No comments: